Monday, September 15, 2008

Arriving on the ice & around town

Here we are now on the landing strip just after landing on Antarctica. This photo taken from Ivan the Terra Bus, which you may remember if you saw 'Encounters at the End of the World' by Werner Herzog.
Here are the "roads" out on the frozen bay that we took from the airfield to the station. Lanes are separated by vehicle type-- those with tires on one side and (tank-type) track vehicles on the other.
Here's the back wall of my carpentry shop... note the saguaro cactus and headless scorpion wood cut-outs!
Some shots of the area around my carp shop... Observation hill and the many recycle bins for all the separated trash that gets removed from the ice.


The Pisten-Bully. I get to drive this! The driver's seat is surrounded by tons of light-up buttons and a little half steering wheel that sits low in your lap; it feels like playing Pole Position. Also some shots looking out the window of the Pisten-Bully.

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

omigosh, James. you are really there. lol. wow. trippy. i had wanted to call to "see" you off. i was gonna call today. I was finishing up an 8 day in Death Valley, driving out, and I said to the crew, I need to call James soon because he's leaving this month, then I check the myspace, and James is already in Antarctica. lol. I'm loving the blog. What a whole new world. I hope you keep the blog up. :) Blue Carhartt overalls for work. nice :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home